As winter gives way to spring, a fresh burst of colours and warmth greets us. This is a time of renewal, growth, and connection. Amid the blooming nature, Aware.org, the Association for Alcohol Responsibility and Education, encourages South Africans to embrace the beautiful season with mindful celebrations.
Spring invites us to gather, to revel in the company of friends and family, and for some, to raise a glass in commemoration. While for most adults who choose to drink there is nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two, it is crucial to remember that responsible alcohol consumption supports our wellbeing and the safety of those around us.
“Aware.org is dedicated to promoting and supporting the responsible use of alcohol. We are continuously working to accomplish our mandate. We do this through partnerships which help us achieve our goals. Our programmes target specific areas of harmful alcohol use,” says Carmen Mohapi, Managing Director of Aware.org.
Aware.org offers the following tips to keep in mind as we embark on springtime festivities:
· Hydration matters: Spring weather often encourages outdoor gatherings and activities. It is important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, even if you are drinking alcohol.
· Choose quality over quantity: Opt for quality over quantity. Savouring a well-crafted cocktail or a fine glass of wine can be far more satisfying than excessive consumption of lower-grade alcohol.
· Know your limits: Understanding your tolerance levels is essential. Pay attention to how your body responds to alcohol and respect your personal boundaries.
· Designated drivers and alternatives: If you are attending events where alcohol will be served, plan ahead for transportation. Designate a driver or take alternative transportation to ensure everyone's safety.
· Listen to your body: Spring is a time of vitality, and tuning into your body's signals is crucial. If you are feeling unwell or overwhelmed, it is okay to abstain from alcohol altogether.
· Eat before you drink alcohol: Remember, it's always wise to eat before indulging in drinks. Eating before drinking can help slow down alcohol absorption, reducing its impact on your body and promoting responsible consumption.
"Remember these steps to enjoy spring responsibly," advises Mohapi. “Whether it's a flavoured sparkling water or a chosen drink, being cautious with alcohol matters. It's a responsibility we all share.” she concludes.
Aware.org is dedicated to promoting and supporting the responsible use of alcohol. Our programmes target specific areas of harmful alcohol use: underage drinking, consuming alcohol during pregnancy and road safety.
We follow recognised behaviour change approaches and use research to inform our interventions.
Aware.org is an initiative of the alcohol industry in South Africa and we collaborate with a range of organisations that have a track record in the areas we have prioritised for action.